Thursday, December 4, 2008

Painting byMorgan Weistling

Tonight was our ward's Christmas Enrichment. They presented a program written by someone in another stake that was just lovely. The speaking parts all the different women/mothers from when Jesus was born - Mother of Mary, Elizabeth - Mother of John the Baptist, the wife of the Shepard, the wife of the innkeeper and so on. In between each speaker was a musical number and it was just so amazing.
I had the humbling experience to be the last speaker as Mary, the Mother of Christ. I can't even tell you how many times I had read and reread my part so that I could get it just right - but near the end of my part I still teared up - the Spirit was just so strong that it couldn't be denied. After my part they ended with a song that I had heard only once before when I was not a mother but have grown to love, because now that I have a child it means so much more to me. I want to share the lyrics with you.

Mary's Lullaby (Tonight You Are Mine)

All mine in your loveliness baby, all mine.

All mine in your holiness baby divine.
Sing on herald angels in chorus sublime;
Sing on and adore, for tonight you are mine.

The wise men are coming to worship their King,

The shepherds are kneeling their homage to bring.

Out yonder the star over Judah will keep.

No harm will befall thee, then sleep baby sleep.


O let me enfold thee, my baby tonight,

While legions are singing in joyous delight.

A new star has risen to hail thee divine,

For you are a king, but tonight you are mine.


Away spectered future of sorrow and plight,

Away to the years that must follow tonight.

The pangs of Gethsemane, let them be dim,

The red drops on Calvary, not Lord, for Him!


O let me enfold thee, my baby tonight,

While legions are singing in joyous delight.

A new star has risen to hail thee divine,

For you are a king, but tonight you are mine.


Sing on herald angels in chorus sublime;

Sing on and adore, for tonight you are mine.

It was such a beautiful program and it made me that much more thankful for the amazing responsibility that I have of being a woman and the mother of a precious child.

2 comments:

keri said...

Nare, I am so glad the program went well. See, all that worrying wasn't necessary. I wish I could have seen it, it sounds just amazing. Don't forget to bring it.

The Wimpy Mother said...

I stumbled onto your blog while searching for the lyrics to Mary's Lullaby. What a cute family you have. I bet if you lived near, we would be good friends (and probably in the same play group)