Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Joyful Moment


A good friend of mine has a blog called Abiding Joy "to discuss ways to create greater joy in our lives." The past several weeks she has been posting a daily joyful moment and I want to follow her example for today.

This afternoon I tried to put Alyson down for nap. She was so tired and normally falls right asleep when I place her in her crib but, today she fought it. I started to feel frustrated because Cole was already napping (thank goodness) and I had so much to do as soon as she fell asleep. But then I suddenly remembered a dear sister in our ward who one night took the extra time to lay with her daughter and talk to her- to live in the moment and not rush through it. It was a great mother daughter moment. Whether she felt prompted to do so or not I don't know, but she will always be thankful - by that weekend her sweet daughter was gone forever.

I looked at my sweet baby girl who just wanted to be held by her mom and remembered that even though I can be with my family for eternity that doesn't always mean they will be with me forever on earth. So I forgot about the dishes and piles of laundry, my dirty room with an unmade bed and I held my daughter close and rocked her till she was almost asleep and then I gently placed her in her crib. I then snuck into my sons room, tucked him in and watched him sleep peacefully for a moment. This was my joyful moment for today - the blessing of living in a precious moment.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Snuggling with and watching sleeping children are two of the best ways to have a Joyful Moment, in my opinion. There's something about both of those that just melts away stress and gives me the right perspective every time.

jess and jessica said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. It really hit me hard and will help me to remember that it is not about how much I can get done, but about being with my family.

marcie said...

Hey Erin,

I just wanted to make sure you got your invite to my blog. It was weird, because I know that before you asked me again, I had already invited you in the past, but then you obviously didn't have the link. Now you're e-mail is up there again, but I wanted to make sure that you had it for sure. If you don't, leave me another message, and I'll try to fix it. I love your blog by the way, your kids are adorable!!