Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mother's Day


I know this is late but life happens sometimes. My Mother's Day was wonderful. All I asked for was a morning to sleep in and breakfast in bed. So Saturday we celebrated because we have 9am church on Sunday so that doesn't make for any sleeping in. My sweet husband and son woke me at 8am on Saturday (I had already slept in 2-3 hours past when I usually get up with my early rising kids) with an amazingly delicious breakfast - a breakfast burrito and biscuits and gravy. My two absolute favorites. Cole was so excited to watch me eat breakfast. It was just so cute. What a wonderful gift. The rest of the day we did as we wanted and just enjoyed a relaxing day. In the afternoon Bret took me with some friends to see Ironman 2. I enjoyed the time with him and it has been a long time since we went to a movie. It was a great day for me. Sunday started off rough with unhappy kids and poor Bret waking up very sick. I remember at one point Bret apologizing for the way the day was going and the thought that occurred to me was "What a better way to celebrate being a mother than doing exactly what made me a mom - taking care of my amazing little family."
I love being a mom. I am also very thankful for this amazing women in my life
I would not be the mom I am today without her amazing influence and example. My Mom taught me so much - sacrifice, endless love for her children, selflessness - we as her children always came first in her life as we still do now. I love being a mom and I know that her example of loving being a mom helps me through all my difficult days. If I were to ask he to come up tomorrow because I needed her, she would drop everything and be here. I can't even express in words what that means to me. She is also the most amazing grandmother EVER. My kids just love her so much and she plays and does so much with them. She just dotes on them. The name of Nana is a daily word in our household. Every night my son blesses her to be safe in his prayers because he too recognizes a very special woman. Thank you Mom for everything you have done and continue to do. We love you more than words can say.

And I can't forget the other amazing Mother in my life -
My sweet second mother. I have learned so much from her. As many know my husband was not an easy child and my son Coulson is basically his Dad's clone. Joanie has helped to teach me how to find more patience when I feel like I am all out, and to endure the many "adventures" I have with Cole. She has helped me to see that he is my joyful challenge. It has been nice to have the support over the phone and know that she survived through Bret so I will survive with Cole. She has also taught so many knew things like making chocolates and the joy of cooking. Every time I go visit she has a new cooking tip to teach me. I am still not as good as she is at cooking(she is amazing) but I have grown to love it more thanks to her. She too loves her grand kids. She loves to see them happy and laughing and they love her back.

I have truly been blessed with two wonderful examples of how mothers should be.

No comments: