Friday, September 5, 2008

Twin Falls County Fair - YEEHAW

As in true Parrish tradition each year we head to the Twin Falls County Fair. Now I've been to a lot of fairs and this one tops them all! The day is full of food, fun, laughter, animals, and the rodeo. This year is was just a little different - mostly thanks to our son. The day started off with Cole not sleeping and then finally waking at 4am. Not wanting to go back to sleep we attempted to keep him entertained until 6:15 when Grams and Opa took over. I decided to head back to bed - I had had no sleep at all since I went to bed at 11:30 and Cole woke up every half hour till 4. Bret got ready and headed off to the second Parrish men family tradition - golfing. I woke up around at and discovered that my adorable son had finally passed out just minutes before. He slept till 11 and then we got ready and met up with the boys, exchange kisses and kids and the girls took off to go find beads at Michael's for Brook to make into beautiful jewelry for us. We arrived home just after noon and headed to the fair. The grandparents bought all the boys cowboy hats in true fashion and we headed off for more fun (notice the cowboy boots Bret bought him - pretty cute if you ask me).
Of course the first thing we did was grab some much needed lunch, then headed for the big barns were all the companies hang out with free stuff. Then to the much anticipated petting barn. Bret and I were so excited to see what Cole would do with being able to pet and feed the animals. He LOVED it! His favorite was the goats and spent most of his time with them. It was a cute tug of war going on - Cole trying totouch their noses and the goats trying to nibble his fingers. Neither won. Probably for the best. After the petting barn Cole became the property of Opa. Not really but it was so fun to see Opa take Cole to see all the other 4-H animals. Horse, chickens, rabbits (where he got to pet a baby rabbit), and the cows. The entire time in the cow barn he walked around with Opa saying "Moo" to everything. Dang cute. He seemed to be having a blast. Bret and I sure were have fun watching our little boy explore everything. Later that night we headed to the rodeo. This is more fun for the adults but the grandkids enjoy bits and pieces. My favorite is the mutton busting. For those who have no clue what this is it is for 4-7 year old children and the get put on the back of a sheep and try to hold on for dear life. Don't worry they have helmets on and lots of adults around for safety purposes. The winner gets a trophy that is no joke bigger than them. It probably stands a good 4 feet tall. Someday Cole will be a mutton buster - Champion. Just wait. The rodeo was great fun and always enjoyable - even the walking around part chasing my son - which happens quite often. I usually get to see half and Bret half. Tag team the toddler. Then we headed home. This family picture is my favorite because Cole is mooing at the cows.
Now I had mentioned that this year was a little different - well throughout most of the day Cole refused to eat or drink - excitement, I hoped. Wrong. On the way home I got him to finally take some milk and the last two blocks from home he decided his stomach no longer wanted it. With out further details I'll just say eww and leave it at that. Along with all the souvenirs my son had also brought home the stomach flu. For the next 4 days Bret and I spent most of our time dealing with aftermath of Hurricane Flu - bathing Cole, washing all our covered clothes, bedding, and changing diapers - then washing more clothes from blow outs. Not fun. Poor Cole, but he was such a trooper. Thankfully he is doing better and starting to return to normal.

The rest of the week is a blur of sickness, mingled with fun. I did get to go see Mama Mia! There were 3 Parrish girls, 4 Arrington girls (good friends of the family) - GIRL TIME!!! We laughed so hard the entire time. Go see it. You'll love it if you like musicals and comedy. Awesome. I'm buying it.
Now the thing you have to have understand is that I don't buy movies so it says a lot that I want this one - and the soundtrack.

Anyways, Bret had originally taken Tuesday off for us to go play in SLC but we ended up home with Cole. Still worth it. So there you have it. Fun, but exhausting, weekend.

3 comments:

keri said...

I love the "mooing" family pic. Also you really need to get a close up pic of Cole with his hat and boots. It would just be too cute. Our state fair is coming up. We are planning on attending this coming Monday. Of course, it's always funner with some young ones in tow!

Jess & Jessica said...

Cole is so cute!!! That fair sure sounds like the one in Charlotte's Web. I wish Albuquerque would put on a cool fair like that.

Tasha said...

Way fun. You look really good by the way. I really want to see Mama Mia, but just haven't found the time, maybe I'll rent it when it comes out.